- ItemStaff Appraisal and Performance of Commercial Banks in Uganda: A Case Study of Centenary Bank, Kabale Branch.(Kabale University, 2022) Twasima, ClaireThe study was about examining the appraisal of staff and the performance of Commercial Banks in Uganda, using the case of Centenary Bank, Kabale Branch. Chapter one provided the necessary background, statement of the problem, purpose of the study, objectives of the study, research questions, significance of the study area, and scope of the study. Chapter two covered a written discussion of the related literature search. The study reflected the objectives of the research with regard to the impact of bookkeeping practices on the performance of small business enterprises in Kabale Municipality. While reviewing, the research mainly focused on Appraising staff which was the independent variable whereas performance was the dependent variable. Under the independent variable (Appraising staff) the study focused on, Performance standards, and discussing results with employees (feedback). While the dependent variable (performance) focused on customer satisfaction, accountability, efficiency, and effectiveness. Chapter three dealt with the methods. and tools the researcher used in data collection and analysis. It described the research design that was used by the researcher, data sources and collection tools, processing, analysis, and the challenges that the researcher faced. Chapter four focused on the analysis and report of the results of the study. The main issues covered are the demographics of the respondents and data presentation in terms of tables and charts to address the objectives of the study. Chapter five provides a discussion of the findings from Chapter Four, and it also gives the conclusions and recommendations of the study based on the objective of the study.
- ItemThe Effect of Monetary Rewards on Employees Performance in Financial Institutions: A Case Study of Pride Microfinance Kabale Branch.(Kabale University, 2022) Ainebyoona, JoabThe purpose of the study was to investigate the extent to which monetary rewards affect employees' performance in micro finance institutions using pride microfinance ,kabale branch as case study .The study was guided by the following objectives; to examine the extent to which allowances affect employees' performance in Microfinance Institutions, to establish how salaries affect employees' performance in microfinance institutions and to establish the relationship between bonuses and employees' performance in microfinance institutions. The researcher employed descriptive and analytical research designs, thus both quantitative and qualitative data as collected with the help of questionnaires and interview guide, the data analyzed was collected r purposes of drawing conclusions and recommendations. The findings revealed that financial incentives improve on task performance because majority of the respondents supported that financial incentives improve on task performance, few of the respondents disagreed with the question while others were not sure whether financial incentives significantly improve on task performance or not. Monetary rewards make employees happy while performing their duties, majority of the respondents supported the question that monetary rewards make employees happy and satisfied while performing their duties and monetary rewards make employees perform in high degrees. A few with disagreed with the question and finally a few respondents were not sure \ whether monetary rewards make employees happy while performing their duties. In conclusion therefore, all objectives were achieved as set by the researcher. The nature of allowances availed o employees was found to have far reaching effects to any employee. Respondents also strongly agreed that employees were given favorable allowances at pride micro finance. There is a need to allow employees (subordinates) to make decision in some performance aspects. This would make them feel a heart of belonging thereby achieving the set goals. There is a need to continue ensuring that skilled and competent human resource management officers are employed in the organization since competent officers may be easy for employees to deal with in an effort to ensure service quality.
- ItemEconomic Background of Undergraduate Students and their Academic Performance at Kabale University.(Kabale University, 2023) Kyarikunda, MiriaThe purpose of the study was to establish the socioeconomic factors in uencing under- graduate students' academic performance in Kabale university in Kabale District. Four research objectives were formulated to guide the study. The rst one was to identify the socioeconomic factors that impact on students' academic performance. The second one was to to assess the impact of parents' education level on the academic performance of their children. The third one was to investigate how the income of parents a ect the academic performance of their children. While the fourth one was to investigate how the occupation of parents a ect the academic performance of their children. The study employed descriptive survey as the research design. Questionnaires were used to solicit in- formation from the students. The target population of the study consisted of students of kabale university mainly from four randomly chosen faculties. The samples were selected using simple random sampling, purposeful sampling and strati ed random sampling. Data from the questionnaires were analysed using Stata software, while data presen- tation was done using tables, bar graph. Data interpretation was done using frequencies, percentages and the Chi square at 2 degrees of freedom. The ndings showed that parental level of education greatly a ects the students' aca- demic performance.The ndings indicate that there is no signi cant in uence of parental level of education on student's academic performance.The ndings indicate that there is no signi cant in uence of parents' occupation level and the students' academic perfor- mance. Based on the ndings and conclusions, the following recommendations were made; Parents of low socio-economic status should be empowered to enable them provide for basic needs for their children. Thus, enhances their academic performance. Parent teacher interactions should be encouraged. By this, students of low socioeco- nomic status will be compensated. Counseling psychologist should be employed to schools to identify, advised and comforted students of low socioeconomic. This will go along way to improve their academic perfor- mance. Thus, enhances their academic performance. Government and educational stakeholders should endeavor to provide students facilities like Libraries, laboratories, so as to improve the students' academic performance. Government need to increase on the fees bursaries to the needy students because major- ity of the parents are not able to pay school tuition on time due to irregular income and poverty. Suggestions on further study are; Similar studies should be carried out using other methods of data collection. A similar study should be carried out on the variables that are not incorporated in the present study. Seminar and workshop should be regularly organized for parents of the e ect of large family size. This will enable them to provide basic education needs for their children.
- ItemEvaluating the Potential of Cultural Tourism for Community Development in Kisoro District, South Western Uganda.(Kabale University, 2016) Matsiko, AdamIn Kisoro district, there are large communities which are impoverished, disadvantaged and living in undeveloped settlements. However, very few people benefit with the availability of cultural tourism in the area. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the potential of cultural tourism for community development in Kisoro District, south western Uganda. The specific objectives of the study were; (i) to evaluate potential cultural tourism resources, (ii) assess perceptions of local people towards cultural tourism development and (iii) to assess the contribution of cultural tourism towards the economic development of Kisoro district. Cross section design utilizing mixed methodologies was used. Both Purposive and simple random sampling techniques were used to select and obtain the respondents. Data collection methods were; questionnaires, key Informant Interviews, Observation Method. Microsoft excel was used in analysis of data collected from 85 respondents. The study found out that potential cultural tourism resources were; cultural values and life styles, architecture museums and theatres, indigenous cultural communities, art crafts and niches. Contributions of cultural are; community pride (20%), provided markets for cultural products (15% ), economic growth (09% ), demand for cultural goods (16%) and employment opportunities to local people (06). The people's perceptions on cultural tourism were; exploitation by tourists-hosts (15% ), support from the local people (22% ), aggression form of cultural people (20%), cultural differences (18%), resistance from the local communities (12%) and conflicts for local connection towards tourists (13%). There need to analyze the contributions (both positive and negative) of cultural tourism towards economic development of Kisoro district, there should be involvement of local people in decision making and be consulted on policies regarding potential cultural tourism resources and their ability to influence these decisions.
- ItemOn Job Training and Employee Productivity in Banking Institutions in Uganda: A Case Study of Centenary Bank Kabale Branch.(Kabale University, 2022) Nakero, SarahThe purpose of the study was to establish the effect of on job training on employee productivity in Banking Institutions in Uganda. The study was guided by the following specific objectives; To analyze the methods of on job training used; to investigate the factors that influence of employee productivity and to assess the relationship between on job training and employee productivity at Centenary Bank Kabale branch. The study adopted a cross sectional research design. This design also provided more representatives, reliable and precise measures which generate statistical values that answer the research questions thus providing in-depth understanding of the study. The study considered a total of thirty employees (30) taking Centenary bank as a case study. The respondents included branch manager, heads of departments, tellers and credit managers who were added up to get a total of 30. Using Krejicie and Morgan table of determination of sample size from a given study population (1970), the Study population was put into strata namely 7 departmental heads, 21 Staff members from Centenary Bank, Kabale District. The research engaged a total of twenty eight (28) respondents. Data collection tools used included structured questionnaire and interview guides. The study results were presented in form of tables for easy interpretation. Conclusion and recommendation were further drawn in the same arrangement with the study objectives accrued from the study findings. The findings of the study revealed that Employee Training is the factor that influence employee productivity. From the study findings, the researcher concludes that various methods of on job training used by centenary bank like coaching, job instruction, apprenticeship and job rotation and internship prgrammes should be enhanced as this enables the newly recruited employees to gain more knowledge and skills regarding the performance of different activities. Since there are different factors that influence on job training and employee productivity among which is a significant productivity factor that should be comprehensive and thorough. Centenary bank should take its time to talk to the employees, and explain how their role affects the banks operations, so that they see the big picture. Areas suggested for further research included; the role of motivation and employee performance in the selected financial Institutions in Uganda and the relationship between the recruitment and deployment of female employee and access to quality financial services.