Browsing Dissertations/Theses/Reports by Subject "Academic Libraries"
Now showing 1 - 5 of 5
Results Per Page
- ItemAssessing Utilization of Information Access Tools in Academic Libraries: A Case Study of National Teachers College Kabale.(Kabale University, 2022) Arimpwera, PhionaThis Purpose of this study was to assess the utilization of information access tools in academic libraries. A case study of National Teachers College Kabale. It was guided by the following research objectives; identifying the types of information access tools used at National Teachers College Kabale, finding out the challenges faced by users when utilizing information resources at National Teachers College Kabale and suggesting possible solutions to the challenges faced by users in utilizing available information resources at National Teachers College Kabale. A qualitative case study research design was preferred because it helped the researcher to study the selected issues in depth. The sample size comprised of 180 respondents. Observation method, interviewing method and document review method were the data collection methods used by the researcher. The study findings revealed that different types of information access tools were used at National Teachers College Kabale and they include among others catalogues, indexes, abstracts, classification schemes, bibliographies, search engines and subject directories. It was evident that difficulty in locating library materials for quicker information search was the major challenge faced by students in utilizing available information resources at National Teachers College Kabale followed by inadequate ICT Literacy Skills. Inadequate well trained information workers, lack of awareness of library users to information resources, improper accurate information, inadequate funds to procure ICT tools were also among the challenges faced while training of staff, recruitment of qualified library staff, provision of different information materials, provision of internet facilities, creation of awareness and finally government funding were pointed out by respondents as possible solutions to the challenges faced by students in utilizing available information resources in National Teachers College Kabale.
- ItemThe Contributions of Cataloguing Towards the Perfomance of Academic Libraries.(Kabale University, 2015) Agness, TumukudeThis study was about the contributions of cataloguing towards the performance in academic libraries: a case study of Mukombe library Kabale University. It was guided by the following objectives: to identify the contributions of cataloguing towards the performance of academic library of Kabale University, to find out the challenges faced the librarians when carrying out cataloguing in academic library of Kabale University, to find out the possible solutions to those challenges faced by librarians when carrying out cataloguing in academic library of Kabale University. The research study was conducted using a case study research design which was both qualitative and quantitative in nature. The study involved 50 respondents from whom data was collected using questionnaire and interviews among other instruments The findings of the study revealed to the researcher, that there are contributions of cataloguing and they include: cataloguing helps to find list of what exists in the library. Cataloguing helps to facilitated the location of a particular publication in the library. It helps to relate and display to getter the editions which the library has of a given author. It arranges entries of complex material in library under headings of personal authors. Electronic cataloguing helps in book selection in the library and cataloguing helps librarians to save the time while processing the identification entries of automatic retrieval of information in the library. With advanced technology globally computers should be advanced to help the library users to get access to up dated information when they are connected to the internet. Computers and internet also help libraries to keep records involved in various jobs such as ordering, cataloguing, and circulating books. Computer based catalogues called online public catalogues in many libraries.
- ItemExamining the Impact of Classification of Information materials towards the Organization of Academic Libraries. A Case Study of Uganda College of Commerce Library, Kabale District.(Kabale University, 2014) Winfred, NinsiimaThe study was carried out on the topic examining the impact of classification of information materials towards the organization of academic libraries with a specific reference to Uganda College of commerce academic library Kabale District. Chapter one looked at the introduction, background of the study, statement of the problem and purpose of the study. The objectives of the study were, to find out the different types of information materials kept in UCC, to establish the relevance of classification of information materials in UCC library, to identify the challenges faced in classification of information materials in UCC and to suggest possible solutions and recommendations to the above challenges. The scope of the study was UCC academic library Kabale District. Chapter one also looked at the significance of the study and definitions of operating terms and concepts. Chapter two looked at literature review which was related to the topic of the study and the study objectives which included; to find out the different types of information materials kept in UCC, to establish the relevance of classification of information materials kept in UCC library, to identify the challenges faced in classification of information materials in UCC and to suggest possible solutions and recommendations. Chapter three looked at the area of the study which was conducted at UCC library, research design which was descriptively surveyed in nature. The study population of 70 people , sample size 40 respondents, the data collection procedures which included primary source and secondary data source and methods of data collection which included interview method, observation method and questionnaire method , the data collection instruments which were; interview guide, observation guide data management , data analysis and presentation. Chapter four looked at data analysis, interpretation and presentation of research findings whereby, they were presented in frequency distribution tables, charts and percentages. A total number of 40 questionnaires were distributed to 40 respondents which are the librarians, library users, and staff administrators and all questionnaires were returned back. They were redistricted according to age, sex and education level where most different answers were got. In chapter five , the researcher recommends that there is great need to sensitize employees and users on the use of library collection hence approaches for creating good working atmosphere between library user, administration employee while at the same time maximizing both qualitatively.
- ItemFactors Hindering the Proper Management of Academic Libraries in Kabale Municipality: A Case Study of the Uganda Martyrs University Kabale Campus Library.(Kabale University, 2013) Oliva, ArineitweThe study was entitled on factors hindering proper management of academic libraries in Kabale municipality.it was carried out at Uganda martyrs university Kabale campus library .The purpose of this was to investigate factors hindering proper management of academic libraries in Kabale municipality and later come up with the solutions. The study was guided by the following objectives; to establish the kinds of services offered by academic libraries, to find out contribution of academic libraries towards students’ performance, to find out the factors hindering the proper management of academic libraries and to suggest the possible solutions for the factors hindering the proper management of academic libraries. Data collection was both through qualitative and quantitative methods using methods using questionnaires, observations, interviews and analysis of written documents as instruments. It included 30 respondents that is 5 lecturers, 22 students, 2 administrators and one (1) librarian as the respondents. The research was guided by the following questions, what are kinds of services offered by the academic libraries, what contribution of academic libraries towards the students’ performance, what are the factors hindering the proper management of academic libraries, what are the possible solutions for the factors hindering the proper management of academic libraries? The data collected was analyzed and presented graphically using bar graphs and tables where the findings revealed that; the common factor was economic in nature noting lack of funds as the biggest factor. In addition, social and political factors greatly hindered the proper management of academic libraries in Kabale municipality. The study concluded that; libraries have linked both students in learning and teaching process respectively. However, the libraries are affected by the same problems such as limited reading space, lack of cooperation and resource sharing amongst libraries, limited time for borrowing, noise made by students and un updated information materials. In addition, recommended that, more research should be carried out to critically find out more about the factors that hinder the proper management of academic libraries.
- ItemThe Relationship between Records Management and Service Delivery in Academic Libraries: A Case Study of Kabale University Library.(Kabale University, 2013) Forsca, KyomugashoThe most outstanding aim of this study was to find out the impact of records management towards service delivery in Kabale University Library. The study was guided by three objectives of which were the basis of data collection and analysis. The researcher used various research methods i.e. the methods that used in data collection and the included questionnaire method, interview methods, observation method and documentary review. The collected data was analyzed using various software’s that is Microsoft word and excel. The researcher identified a number of library services, which include information processing, current awareness services, charging and discharging of information materials, user education and others. Records management was very important towards the provision of these services as they enable decision-making, library accountability, reference purposes, facilitated information access and historical purposes. However there are various challenges that were being faced by the library staff and management which included under staffing, inadequate funds and limited collection. Finally, data was analyzed discussed and interpreted, conclusion, recommendations were made, and the researcher found out that records management hard bigger hand towards service provision in Kabale University Library.