Faculty of Computing, Library and Information Science (FCLIS)
Permanent URI for this collection
Now showing 1 - 5 of 38
- ItemProtection of Patients’ Medical Records: A Case Study of Kabale Regional Referral Hospital.(Kabale University, 2023) Alirumboyo, AishaThe purpose of the study was to examine the protection of patients’ medical records at Kabale Regional Referral Hospital. The study was guided by four objectives namely; examining the filing systems applied in medical records management, finding out how Medical Records are protected, finding out the challenges faced in medical records management and establishing possible solutions to the challenges faced in medical records management at Kabale Regional Referral Hospital. The study adopted a case study research design. The target population was one hundred fifty (150) respondents from which a sample size of sixty (60) respondents was selected. From the study findings, Numerical filing system was the major filing system used at Kabale Regional Referral Hospital. From the study findings, majority of respondents indicated untidiness in the record storage areas, misplacement of file, and lack of file control tools. Good housekeeping and proper handling procedures by staff and users was the major possible solutions to the challenges faced in medical records management at Kabale Regional Referral Hospital. The researcher recommended that there should be integration of Information Communication Technology (ICT) in records management and also regular training on ICT usage in records management at Kabale Regional Referral Hospital.
- ItemEvaluation of Records Management Practices at Mbarara City Council.(Kabale University, 2023) Beinomugisha, ObadiahThe purpose of the study was to evaluate the records management practices at Mbarara City Council. The study was guided by four major objectives: establish the types of records managed at Mbarara City Council; find out the records management practices; identify the challenges faced in the implementation of proper records management practices; and establish solution to challenges identified. A descriptive research design following a qualitative approach to evaluate the records management practices at Mbarara City council. Interview guide and observation checklist were used to collect data from the selected respondents. Purposive and simple random sampling techniques were used to select the targeted respondents. Data was analyzed using descriptive techniques following the set research questions. Results indicated that administrative, financial, personal, legal records were the most record types kept by the council. The results further show that failure to follow records management policy was a major impediment in determining priorities with regard to effective management of records in the registry. The study recommends adoption and implementation of appropriate policies, standards and guidelines to effectively manage records throughout their lifecycle; appointment of qualified records managers to manage and monitor records held in such departments.
- ItemExamining the Role of Preserving Medical Records at Kamuganguzi HCIV.(Kabale University, 2023) Mugabirwe, GiftThe study was about the role of preserving medical records at Kamuganguzi HCIV. It was guided by specific objectives which were to examine the preservation methods of medical records used in Kamuganguzi HCIV, find out challenges faced in preservation of medical records in Kamuganguzi HCIV and establish the measures in which medical records preservation can be improved in Kamuganguzi HCIV. The study used a case study research design where both qualitative and quantitative research design approaches were used. The study used a sample of 69 respondents which included 5 medical records staff and 64 Non-medical records staff selected using Morgan table. Both interviews and questionnaires were used to collect data from respondents and findings indicate that preservation methods used in Kamuganguzi HCIV included Microfilming, Digitization, Lamination, Photocopying and fumigation. The Challenges faced in preservation of medical records included Storage Scalable, Lack of Backups & Limited Security, Inconsistent Layouts, and No Clear Audit Trails & Version History and finally the Measures in which medical records preservation can be improved included Digitalization, Cloud storage, Training and Central records preservation system and the study recommended that Kamuganguzi HCIV should shift from paper-based recordkeeping to a completely digital records creation and management system by converting their current paper-based patient records to digital images by scanning and capturing them into the electronic system, with metadata attached to each record image. Kamuganguzi HCIV in respect of the centralization and sharing of medical records, the preservation of patients’ records, access to patient records and archiving technology. Records management staff should be trained in the old and new system formats, to ensure they have the skills needed to recommend the right system and can implement and test migration efficiently and the government should adopt a community cloud that would be managed and used by the institutions concerned to ensure access to and the reuse of the same or old data from the old system in the new technological system.
- ItemThe Application of ICT in Reference Service at Kabale University Library.(Kabale University, 2022) Aharimpisya, BarnabasThe study was about the application of ICT in reference service at Kabale University. The study was guided by specific objectives which included to determine the extent to which application of ICT are used for rendering reference services at Kabale University Library, to identify the constraints for effective application of ICT for reference services in Kabale University and to propose the strategies for improving application of ICT for reference services in Kabale University Library. The study adopted a descriptive design using a qualitative approach. The study considered a sample size of 15 library staff of Kabale University library. Both questionnaires and interview guides were used to collect data. The study findings indicated that information sharing, communication purposes, cataloguing and classification of library materials, issuing in and out of library materials (circulation), storage, retrieval and dissemination of information and e-resources trainings were applications of ICT use for rendering reference services at Kabale University Library. The study findings also indicated that inadequate hardware and software, unreliable power supply, internet breakdown with low internet bandwidth, technological phobia, low level of ICT skills and literacy and inadequate financial support were constraints for effective application of ICT for reference services at Kabale University. The study findings indicated that that training of library users, provision of internet services, availability of computer technology maintenance policy document, provision of current and up-dated computer technology equipment, providing user accounts for easy access of library resources and regular power supply were possible strategies for improving application of ICT for reference services in Kabale University Library. The researcher recommended that application of computer technologies in reference services in university libraries should be encouraged as this would boost the morale of libraries and improve efficiency of librarians in providing current and timely information to their users.
- ItemLibrary Material Security and Service Delivery in Uganda: A Case Study of Rwenzori International University.(Kabale University, 2023) Muhindo, SadressThe value of information resources cannot be overstated; users all over the world rely on library resources for knowledge and new ideas to help them grow intellectually. Hence, university libraries face varying levels of delinquency in the use of their resources. The goal of this research was to look into library security and service delivery at Rwenzori International University. The study was guided by the specific objectives, which include finding out the types of security apparatus adopted by the Rwenzori International University library, establishing the challenges associated with the implementation of library security for effective service delivery at the Rwenzori International University library, and assessing the possible solutions to the challenges affecting the implementation of library security for effective service delivery at the Rwenzori International University library. The study adopted a descriptive survey design utilizing both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis approaches. Using simple random and purposive sampling techniques, a total of 67 respondents were selected to participate in the study. In this study, data was collected using questionnaires and key informant interviews. On the types of security apparatus adopted at the Rwenzori International University library, it was found that the majority 20 (30%) strongly disagreed, 19 (28%) disagreed, 4 (6%) were not sure, 10 (15%) agreed, and 14 (21%) strongly agreed that magnetic tackle tape was one of the types of security apparatus adopted by the Rwenzori International University Library to ease service delivery. Majority 21 (31% of the participants) strongly agreed that inadequate budgetary allocation affects library security due to the fact that inadequate budgetary allocation to the university affects its service delivery in an area. The budgetary allocations to the state library boards and the national library board are very minimal and not enough to fund libraries. The study concluded that 22 (33%) agreed and 20 (30%) strongly agreed; hence, university libraries need to develop effective strategies to recruit talented staff in a changing demographic environment to ease the use of security measures to ease service delivery. It was also recommended that librarians should always be ready to use the security services to ease service delivery.